Imagine for the moment that you are driving your car and on your right is the corner you wish to turn, but you do nothing . You don’t start to slow down, you don’t indicate and you don’t start to turn the wheel. Instead you just keep doing exactly the same thing you where doing when driving in a straight line. Will you get around the corner? Of course not! you will just keep driving down the road. In order to get the result of turning the corner you have to change something about the way you are driving the car.
By deciding to make the commitment to exercise you are indicating a desire to change something about your body; whether that be to change its shape, size, fitness levels, energy levels or a combination of these.
Firstly congratulations on making that decision. Whilst often people are not happy with something about their life, it is not easy for anyone to decide to take steps to change it, and you have made that decision; so well done!
This brave decision means you are going to have to make some changes to the way you do some things in order to get the results you want. If this sound a little scary take some comfort in the following facts;
- It is normal to feel scared, nervous, and apprehensive about change (at least you know you’re normal
- That you don’t have to make all the changes at the same time.
- Making changes gets easier with time, confidence and results.
- Not all the changes are going to be huge or difficult, Even a few small changes can make a huge difference to your direction (you may even like some of them)
- It’s never easy to make changes and do things differently
- You don’t have to do this on your own. You have your family, friends and your trainer to help and guide you
- You get to decide what changes you do make and what changes you don’t.
Your trainer generally makes suggestions about changes you can make that will help you achieve what you want BUT no one can make you do them – this one falls on you. Just like a passenger in the car can not make you turn around the corner.
Your communication and feedback are very important. Any suggestions for change are always based around helping you get to where you want to be. If you are unsure, unhappy or unwilling to make a change that was suggested, it is important that we talk about it, as we may be able to compromise or modify; both of which is better than ignoring it.
Quite often you are going to be in a position where you will need to do one thing to achieve your goal and you feel tempted not to do it, or do something else. One of the tools I use when I find my self in this position is to ask myself;
- What do I WANT more, the end result or the current course”
- Am I prepared to delay or change my goal to allow me the comfort of not doing or changing the current situation “.
If you are not prepared to delay your goal and you truly want the end result more than what you currently have, it’s time to take charge and do what you may not feel like doing. Remember, if you are not prepared to change something, then nothing will ever change.